coming back after an injury

Steven Tyler

coming back after an injury

Postby Steven Tyler » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Getting physically injured is a nightmare, especially for active people and athletes. Injuries mean lost time at the gym, sitting out of games, and feeling defeated. But believe it or not, the challenges that come from recovery can actually inspire improvement. Follow these five tips and return to workouts physically and mentally strong. To come back you should get diagnosed first. Know the difference between being hurt and suffering an injury. “We like to ‘man up’ and walk it off when we get hurt. But you know you are injured when the pain you sustained has not gone away or perhaps has gotten worse.” says Aaron Wexler, NASM CPT. “Pain is the first sign that something in your body's kinetic chain is not right.” You can walk off being sore, but you should not walk off real pain. What can you advise?

Richard Hawley

Re: coming back after an injury

Postby Richard Hawley » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 am

Nice topic!Understand what happened. How did you get injured? Understanding what happened will be key to your rehab plan so you can avoid further injury. Knowing what went wrong will also help you mentally, as getting injured can really impact your confidence level. Seek supervision. Work with your doctor on an exercise-based rehab program. A physical therapist or personal trainer can also help correct bad movement patterns and muscle imbalances in order to prevent further injuries.Fuel your body. A nutrient-packed diet and adequate hydration are key during recovery. Adding a supplement like glutamine or MSM and chondroitin may also help rebuild joints. Stay away from alcohol, sugar, and white flour.

JerryLee

Postby JerryLee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:47 am

I know what you mean and I agree that usually people really face different problems in comming back. There is always a danger you could do too much, too early and aggravate rather than help the injury to get better. There are no hard and fast rules about how much you should do because it depends on type of injury and recovery. In some cases, light exercise can help get blood to the affected area and speed up healing. For want of any better advice, if you feel pain, it is a sign you might be pushing too early. If you can ride without pain, then it is a guide signal to begin lightly.
During injury, some muscles will have wasted causing imbalances in the body. This can cause knock on injuries, due to over stretching other parts of the body. One thing I’ve noticed about recent injuries where I mainly landed on left hand side, is that I’ve gained muscle strains on my right hand side in my back because I’m overcompensating on the other side.
Also, because I haven’t been using my left leg much, I can feel the muscles are really declining in power. When I wake up I feel my left leg involuntary stretching because the previously strong muscles are becoming much weaker due to non-use. Unfortunately, this has aggravated the imbalance between my left and right leg.

Adam Levine

Postby Adam Levine » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Be sad.Allow yourself to feel whatever loss you are feeling. Hiding your feelings will interfere with effective coping and recovering. Your emotions are an important part of the healing process.Deal with reality.Injured athletes tend to focus on ‘should haves’ and ‘if onlys’. Giving energy to these thoughts will take away from recovery and rehabilitation. You have to deal with your reality.Set new goals.Leave old goals in the past for now, and set fresh ones. As you recover, you will need to measure your successes differently, perhaps in minutes instead of miles.Keep active.Embrace rehab and keep up as much of your training as possible. If you can’t, use mental rehearsal daily (5-10 minutes) to see, hear and feel yourself running. This will keep your neuromuscular connections activated.

Harry Kane

Postby Harry Kane » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:04 pm

First, there are two major types of injuries the body experiences, macrotraumas and microtraumas.Macrotraumas are sudden, acute injuries; you'll know the instant they occur. On the court it's when a point guard comes down with a rebound and snaps his ankle. In our world, it's when you're hammering up 315 like it's styrofoam and something in your pecs pops so loud you can hear it over the Lady Gaga playing on the sound system.A microtrauma is a chronic overuse injury. Although less dramatic from an athlete's point of view, microtraumas can be just as annoying as they're often difficult to properly assess and manage.

Albert

Postby Albert » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:12 am

You can train unaffected areas if it doesn't bother the injured area, but the training goal for the injured area is simple: don't make the injury worse. That means leave it the hell alone! Don't train it lightly, don't stretch it (unless instructed by a doctor), and don't go for a light jog instead of a hard run. Just leave it alone.You can also RICE the injured area. RICE stands for Rest (leave it alone), Ice (ice for 15-20 minutes an hour, as often as possible), Compression (wrap it up loosely), and Elevation (put it above the heart if possible when at rest). Just be safe!

Peter Parker

Postby Peter Parker » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:09 pm

uring the repair phase the body is using collagen tissue to fix the injury, which is a bit like the body's version of duct tape. However, at this time the body is laying that collagen tissue down in a haphazard fashion.This is extremely important for the lifter to remember. The body is attempting to return to basic functioning during this phase, nothing more. But problems occur when the lifter starts to feel better and, eager to return to their previous activities, tries to push it or "test it." All too often the result is the area gets re-injured and the entire process must start all over again.

MORAN

Postby MORAN » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 pm

I had a bike accident that is why I know how difficult to coming back after an injury. It is obvious that any reduction in exercise undertaken will have a knock on effect on your conditioning and overall fitness. While off the bike you may have gained weight and lost some or all of your conditioning. You might even be a completely different body shape now than you had when you got hurt. Fortunately, it is relatively straightforward to regain that condition. If you have been fit once, you can be fit once more. As long as you have been signed off to continue exercise or feel ready to get back on the bike, you should do so.Don’t go too hard too fast. Treat it just like a sportive.

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Slow speed, light-weight resistance training can be used as well, with 10-20 reps being the norm; be sure to err on the side of light weight and high reps in this phase. Open chained and isolation movements are preferred for introducing load to the injured area.Lifters should also focus on stretching to get back any flexibility that was lost from the injury, with the goal of a return to a normal level of flexibility if possible. The lifter might also start to work on stability in a controlled setting near the end of this phase. Heavy weights should definitely be avoided (stay with <50% 1RM), along with any high speed, high power, or explosive movements.

William Lawn

Postby William Lawn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Getting injured sucks the big one, but all is not lost. Once the injury has been properly diagnosed and treated, sit down with your doctor and set a realistic time line for when you think you will be better.Then, be conservative. Work slowly toward that timeline and be patient, as most big injuries take at least six months to return to near normal. Do some research and find out what other people are going through. You're not alone and others have likely suffered far worse than what you're going through. Be strong to come back to sport and first think whether you need it at all

Return to “Health & sex”