encourage your children to reduce screen time

alex32

Re: encourage your children to reduce screen time

Postby alex32 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:43 am

I had a friend who was allowed to watch TV only 30 minutes for day. I was allowed to watch TV and computer how much i wanted. And know what? We didn't grew up mentally retarded. We both gained degrees in universities and found good jobs. Gadgets became an essential part of our living. Wherever we go we use phones, whatever we want to know we use laptops and internet. We are not in ancient times. We can not forbid a child to use a computer. Even if we could do it at home, he/her can go to friends and spend time with computer ot TV there. We can only tell and advice not to use it that much and propose alternative ways of pastime. Like outdoor activity, puzzles, painting etc. Still it's up to them

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:48 pm

I cannot say anything against your point of view. It is so true that children take a pattern from their parents. You can explain them something a thousand of times, but if you practice such behavior you children will be just like you. You are totally right by saying that if we want to change something we should start from ourselves first of all. We cannot convince a kid we can only show them a right example. If we have problems in communication with somebody it is better to think over our behavior and then judge others. Everything in our life begins from our mind. There are roots of all problems and happiness .

franky

Postby franky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Children spend a lot of time in front of the screens when they don’t have any other interesting things to do. So arrange for them play ground, play with them on the yard and you will never meet with screen problem again. You should not just forbid something, but suggest a solution, an alternative ,that will be worth switching off all aps.
Last edited by franky on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tompson

Postby Tompson » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 am

Children spend to much time watching TV or playing computer games and parents should do something. So to avoid this problem we can first of all reduce the time for watching. Also we can find alternatives such as reading books, playing games in the family circle, exercises or even trips. Also you can talk about the results of the excessive TV watching. And, of course, you can cut down the cable!)))

Robb

Postby Robb » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:23 pm

if you do not want your child to get used to the screen then you do not have to show it him from the childhood. there are a lot of things you ay do wth your child but of course it demands a lot fo time and your interest. i know that there are some lazy parents who just give their children a tablet and let them play al the time. but it is not right, because you would not change it in the future. even if you would want to do it. there are a lot of games for children, finally buy him a pet with which he will spend a lot of time outside.

Damien

Postby Damien » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Nowadays it is so difficult to reduce TV time without a fight. I don't have children now but I have a little brother who spends most of his time watching TV or playing computer games. I remember myself when I was 10. I had a TV but I didn't watch it at all. I liked to spend all my free time outside with my friends. And in the case with my brother, it sometimes even seems to me that he can't talk! Of course he can, but for him it is better to communicate in a game via the Internet. But I think parents can use "if.. if method" or they can place a TV or a computer in their own bedroom which will help to limit the time for watching and playing. Also you can try to help your kid to find some intereting hobbies!

Tompson

Postby Tompson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Try to explain why you think that it is bad to watch TV more than 1 hour per day. You know that excessive watching can lead to obesity. Once I've showed my baby a photo of a boy who was overweight and it really scared him, and he agreed to reduce screen time. Find some interesting activities for your child. Also you can always use if... if method!

V_Vegas

Postby V_Vegas » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:13 pm

The parents need to "instill" some healthy habits to the kid. You know why there are problems with TV and computer? Because often parents do live those devices to babysit their kids. And the habit remains. Give the kid to some sport section - and show him that it is important for you if he achieves results there. Interest the kid with books, with travelling , with mechanics, with anything else. And then your child will have the habits and the hobbies that not just consume his time and health, but that make a great investment into his future. then you will not have any problems with TV or computer games. Habit - is a very powerful, yet underestimated tool.

Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 am

I suppose I nee to get some more sleep.. I read the name of the topic first "encourage your children to reduce scream time")).. That would be pretty hard for me to do, because I dont think I would be able to show that by my own example.. I mean, I really love the PC and console gaming. I think I will have to make my kid be interested in some other activities. I will show him that the world outside your window is much more interesting then the world on the screen. It is important not to let the kid to be at the PC all the time... That is addictive, like alcohol and drugs. We will need to spend more time outdoors, travel, make some interesting stuff. I think I will manage to interest him)

Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm

alex32 wrote:We didn't grew up mentally retarded.

Perhaps you are right. Some people really sound like they are "dinosaurs" and do not accept any changes in their lives, taking all the new with suspicion. Though I think that this topic is more about that painful addiction that some people have towards their gadgets. A recent example - the Pokemon Go game. I look around on the street , and I see people everywhere playing in that game and running around like crazy... May be that is entertaining. But on the other hand , it is completely useless, and does not give them anything, only takes the time and money for the internet traffic. There are so many things around that are both entertaining and useful as well!

Return to “Fathers’ section”